Sunday, June 3, 2007

Poetry in Controversy

The argument of whether a “free verse”, (commonly known as free form poetry), must be considered a method of writing poetry or not has been going on way before the 19th century. Poets from England like Aldington have stated that free verse poetry was not insisted as the only way of writing poetry but fighting for it as principle of liberty. On the other hand, Robert Frost considered it as playing tennis without a net. The use of blank verse poetry, which was popular in Shakespeare’s works, was even a more considerable form of poetry than free verse. Prose poetry, which was originated in France, was also argued upon as to whether it is a form of poetry or prose. T. S. Eliot even wrote “No verse is free for a man who wants to do a good job.” (I’m so glad; we didn’t belong to the same generation). I’ve been told by some other writers who have studied English and Literature that my “pieces” do not follow such guidelines for writing poems. It is so true that whenever I write something, I don’t, as matter of fact never count my syllables nor restrict the length of my lines. Some experts might even ask if they are real poems or some chants for fun. So I, being the curious Rogie (not George, the monkey), I surfed the internet for forms of writing (while I was taking a break from my Mathematics review, thanks God I still have my head on the right place). I also sought the advice of a gifted writer of Blog Writers Artists Network and this is what he said to me, “When you write, do not worry about what others think, just write. We are story tellers, word smiths and dream weavers. Tell the story. Let if flow out of the pen and onto the paper.”

“An artist/ writer is any one who does not just make a creative masterpiece, but also appreciate the “work” of another regardless of the way an art was created; after all it is someone’s expression” - Rogie

No comments: